Tuesday, February 5, 2019

Property Division at Divorce

Community property division can be a very complicated matter.  When a marriage breaks up in the State of Washington it is imperative that you have representation when it comes to the matter of equitably splitting up property to be sure that you receive everything that is entitled to you. 

The marriage owns all labor of both spouses, and so all wealth accumulated by effort is community property.  If one spouse has separate property, from before the marriage or from an inheritance after the marriage, it will remain separate property unless it is hopelessly "commingled" (mixed up with) community property.  In Washington (as in about half of all community property states), all property, separate and community, is within the power of the court to distribute.  Just because your property is separate property, that does not mean it cannot be given to your spouse in a divorce.  The judge is to make a "just and equitable" distribution of the property once it has all the facts from trial.  Assuming the judge will give you back your separate property, you will need to be able to "trace" that property at trial.  This is a complex, but very important, process. Likewise, if the community invested in one spouse's separate property, then the community will be entitled to the value of that investment in the separate property.  Again, this is complex.

A qualified family lawyer in Washington State will be needed to sort it all out.  In Spokane that man is Craig Mason and his staff at Mason Law.  Why not sit down with a divorce attorney who has fought for the rights of his clients for decades, during this very stressful time?  Call the office of Mason Law today at (509) 443-3681.

Wednesday, January 16, 2019

Free Things to Do in Spokane

(Click the link above for more information)

"From river strolls and botanical gardens to fine art displays and live music, the savvy traveler can have a blast in Spokane without spending a dime."


Wednesday, January 2, 2019

Washington State’s New Family Leave Law.

Under Washington’s new Paid Family and Medical Leave law, eligible employees will be entitled to paid leave up to 12 weeks for family care (family leave) and up to 16 weeks combined family and medical leave beginning in 2019.  Starting January 1, 2020, employees may begin taking PFML leave.

Let’s review the family leave portion of this new law.  It includes caring for a newborn or newly-adopted child or even a family member with a serious health condition, that includes a child, spouse, domestic partner, parent, parent-in-law, sibling, grandparent, or grandchild.  As you can see, it is quite sweeping.

Washington State has passed a ground-breaking act and you should be aware of it.  As it pertains to Family Law matters in the Spokane area or anywhere around Eastern Washington, I hope that I can be of assistance.  My name is Craig Mason.  I am a Family Law attorney located at W. 1707 Broadway in Spokane.  Please call me for an appointment at (509) 443-3681.

Tuesday, December 25, 2018

Zola's All that Glitters in Gold New Years Eve Party 2018

(Click the link above for more information)

"'All that Glitters in Gold' New Year’s Eve celebration and concert.  Guaranteed to make you dance your socks off!  This New Year’s Eve celebration is for adults 21 and over and will include live music by DragonFly, Old Fashion Cocktail Menu and food specials, party favors, and a champagne toast at midnight."


Thursday, December 13, 2018

Guide to Christmas in Spokane: Festivals, Events, Things to Do

(Click the link above for more information)

"The Christmas season brings extra opportunity to spend quality time with friends and family, and in Spokane, Washington, there are many places that visitors can enjoy the holiday spirit together."

Thursday, December 6, 2018

Mason Law Wishes You and Yours a Happy Holiday Season.

Christmastime is a wonderful time of year here in Spokane and Eastern Washington.  We hope that you and your family experience the joys of the holiday season.  We here at Mason Law including Craig, Lori, and his staff are looking forward to also experience the joy and beauty of December.

If you need us in 2019 we will be here for you.  The subject may be Family Law and its many topics including restraining orders, child custody, alimony, etc.  Perhaps you will need a personal injury lawyer.  If so, we will be here to serve those needs as well.  You may also note that Attorney Mason has achieved excellent results in criminal and contract law as well.

You can visit our website anytime at www.spokaneinjuryanddivorcelaw.com.  Therein lies the whole story of the areas of law that we successfully practice as well as some testimonials from area residents who have used our firm over the years to get a positive resolution to their issues.  Happy Holidays from Mason Law in Spokane Washington.

The Coeur d’Alene Resort Holiday Light Show’s Journey to the North Pole Cruise.

(Click the link above for more information)

"It’s been called one of America’s top holiday attractions… The Coeur d’Alene Resort Holiday Light Show’s Journey to the North Pole Cruise."