Monday, March 13, 2017

De Facto Parentage

Have you taken over the role of a parent for a child, perhaps in a marriage in which the other parent was absent or unfit, and now you are divorcing and fear losing contact with your step-children?  Or have parents simply abandoned some children with you for years, leaving you to bond with them, and now a parent has returned and wishes to end your role in the children’s lives?  You might seek a de facto parentage action.

In Washington, the four factors the court will evaluate are:

(1)  Did the biological parent or legal guardian of the child foster this parent-like relationship?
(2)  Did you and the children live together in the same household?
(3)  Did you assume the obligations of parenthood without expectation of financial compensation (ruling out most foster parents). 
(4)  Did you parent the children long enough to form a strong, bonded, dependent, and parent-like relationship?

If so, then the court may protect your rights to visitation with these children. 

For this complex matter, contact Craig Mason of Mason law at 509-443-3681 for a consultation to protect the hearts, souls and well-being of these children to whom you have given so much.

Have you made your St. Patrick's Day Plans?

(Click the link above for more information)

"According to legend, St. Patrick rid Ireland of snakes. Here in Spokane, we still have snakes, but that doesn't make us any less appreciative of the gesture he performed on behalf of our Irish brethren. After all -- whether you're Irish or not -- the country's spirit and culture is certainly worth celebrating!"

Wednesday, March 1, 2017

“He said…She said.”

When a divorce proceeding degenerates to this, it can be a sign that things have turned nasty, and the courts tend to find both parties “equally” to blame.  If the conflict gets too "hot," in reality or by allegation, the court may enter some form of “no contact” order.

In the State of Washington, there are different types of orders designed to prevent contact between two people…even if those people have lived under the same roof for years.  This can take on many and varied meanings of “contact”.

In this day and age prohibited contact can include texting, emailing, Facebook, even the old-fashioned three-way communication where you have someone speak to another person on your behalf.  People are accustomed to referring all orders preventing contact as “restraining orders”.  The type of order and who issues it will more specifically determine the restraints.

Next time, we will examine these different types of orders and their meaning.  For now, if you are served with court papers don’t dread making that call to a lawyer.  Spokane area restraining order attorney Craig Mason will take action on your behalf immediately.  Give him a call for a consultation at (509) 443-3681.